Bed Bugs on the Rise? – Santa Barbara Independent
Bed bugs appear to be on the rise in Santa Barbara County, according to Jake Taylor of OConnor Pest Control, who said that in 2016 his companys revenue increased by 31percent.
Kathy Cardiel with county Environmental Health Services (EHS) said complaints are spread evenly throughout Santa Barbara but that Isla Vistas high rate of resident turnover puts it at even greaterrisk.
At both hotels and residences, the insects have found their way in. Several pest control companies as well as Cardiel attributed most of the new cases to travelers, students, the homeless, and others who carried the bugs into the county from elsewhere before they spread on clothing and furniture. Taylor also said while bed bugs have always been a nuisance, theyve grown resistant in the last few years to certain methods ofextermination.
In 2016, EHS documented 14 bed bug cases. However, Cardiel said her department operates on a complaint basis and only becomes aware of a case when its brought to their attention. Local pest control companies are typically the ones to deal with the bugs. Lenz Pest Control of Santa Barbara receives about three calls per day regarding residential infestations. OConnor Pest Control, also located in Santa Barbara, has treated 50 to 100 cases in the past calendar year, a representatives said. Trevor Wilson of Santa Barbara Pest Control said they get one to two calls a day about the insects, which are reddish-brown, flat, and oval, and range in size from a pinhead to apenny.
Cardiel said bed bugs travel on people and items and often enter homes on used couches and mattresses. Taylor cited movie theaters, public transportation, and houseguests as common contaminators. Because Isla Vista residents have a tendency to throw their used furniture out on the street and acquire new stuff the same way the community is especially susceptible tospread.
The Santa Barbara Independent has documented several cases of bed bugs in Isla Vista one in a Wolfe & Associates-managed residence on Sabado Tarde Road last summer, one in a privately owned home on Fortuna Road, one at a residence on Pasado Road last winter managed by Dean Brunner Rentals, and four outbreaks in the residence halls ofUCSB.
Despite this, the 19 rental agencies with properties in I.V. contacted by The Independent denied ever having a single case of bed bugs in their residences. The Koto Group had nothing to say, no info, and couldnt comment. Island View Properties doesnt hear about it out here. Beach Town Rentals has never had to deal with it. DP Apartments never ever had a case of bed bugs. The Loop in I.V. has never had a single case. And Wolfe & Associates hasnt heard ofanything.
A Wolfe & Associates tenant, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, shared her experience with the pests last summer. She said the property manager was not surprised at all to hear of the outbreak. She reportedly had to pay $1,900 out of her own pocket for theextermination.
According to Taylor, there are three common ways to eradicate bed bugs: fumigation, heat treatment, and insecticides. An entire apartment complex, however, wont be fumigated in the event of single-unit infestation. Plus, Taylor explained, bed bugs have grown more tolerant to the gases used, and pest control companies now have to use three times the amount of gas for bed bugs as they do fortermites.
Heat treatment is an alternative, but its not foolproof. Taylor said when residents or guests reenter a treated home, they often bring the bugs back on contaminated clothing. UCSB student Hannah Larrigan dealt with this very issue last summer. After her home on Fortuna Road was heat treated, The bugs never went away and the landlord took our security deposit to pay for the house to gettented.
Bed bugs are standing strong against insecticide treatments as well. According to Taylor, pest controllers previously used the chemical pyrethrin. But the bugs grew resistant, and about five years ago the industry switched to neonicotinoids. However, Taylor observed that they are now gaining a tolerance to that chemical aswell.
Emmet Hawkes of the Faulding Hotel concurred. Due to the large homeless population that inhabits his hotel, bed bugs are a chronic problem. While he has made good headway to control the issue by using an off-site heat chamber that kills the insects on residents personal items, there are currently two guests dealing with the bugs. He also has seen several hotels on Cabrillo Boulevard that have been tented, and speculated that bed bugs are the cause. Bed bugs are really difficult to get rid of, he said. It is my understanding that they are becoming resistant totreatment.
Growing health concerns pose another obstacle. Many chemicals known to be effective have been removed from the market because of health and environmental risks. However, a brand-new chemical called CrossFire does not come with a caution label. Taylor said it is supposed to be extremely effective and could potentially solve what is one of the biggest growingproblems.
UCSB has its own issues. Third-year student Kaitlyn Matousek recounted her experience with the critters as a freshman in Santa Cruz dorm. Upon discovering bed bugs, maintenance staff informed her they could not use pesticides because of the health issues it would pose to other dorm residents. Matousek said she and her roommates were asked to find their own alternative housing for two days while the room was treated with intenseheat.
We came back to our room after treatment to find that our photos and shoes had melted, Matousek recalled. The housing department suggested that we remove our valuables, but we couldnt take much since we had nowhere togo.
Shortly after returning to her room and cleaning tiny dead carcasses off her mattress, Matousek realized some of the bugs were still crawling. After she claimed maintenance staff ignored her complaints, she brought them a mason jar full of live bugs. The next extermination effort was successful, she recalled, but not before her next-door and downstairs neighbors had begun their own battles with thebugs.
A resident of San Rafael dorm is currently fighting the pests. After waking up with fresh bites on her neck, eyelid, and shoulders, she called the maintenance department, which performed an immediate insecticide treatment and scheduled a heat treatment, a process that would take three weeks. She was not initially provided alternative housing either. According to the student, a Housing and Residential Services employee informed her bed bugs dont carry diseases so its not a healthconcern.
Cleanliness is crucial to combating the problem. While general hygiene is helpful, Cardiel also cautioned against bringing used couches and mattresses into your home unless they have been inspectedfirst.
Santa Barbara Countys relationship with bed bugs represent a larger problem. In fact, Governor Jerry Brown signed a bill last year that requires all landlords to perform pest inspections prior to leasing their properties and disclose information related to treatment and control to theirtenants.
- Avoid bringing home bedbugs from vacation: Consumer Reports - - WSYR - March 24th, 2017
- Avoid bringing home bedbugs from vacation: Consumer Reports - - WSYR - March 24th, 2017
- Don't bring bed bugs home from vacation | FOX6Now.com - fox6now.com - March 24th, 2017
- Biopesticide could defeat insecticide resistance in bedbugs - Science Daily - March 24th, 2017
- Bedbugs beware: New research may beat back bedbug epidemic ... - ScienceBlog.com (blog) - March 24th, 2017
- Few answers for tenants of Denver apartment complex infested by bed bugs - The Denver Channel - March 22nd, 2017
- Bed bug bedlam: With incidents on rise, rules may follow in Oak Creek - South Now - March 22nd, 2017
- Bed Bugs take over a Denver woman's apartment - 7NEWS Denver ... - The Denver Channel - March 20th, 2017
- Some bedbugs are really good climbers. And that may be bad news for you. - Washington Post - March 18th, 2017
- Some bed bugs are better climbers than others: Bed bug species ... - Science Daily - March 18th, 2017
- Reemergence of tropical bedbugs not cause for concern - Florida Record - March 18th, 2017
- Horseheads Motel Treating For Bed Bugs - My Twin Tiers.com - March 18th, 2017
- Erie County battles bed bugs at Rath Building - The Buffalo News - Buffalo News - March 17th, 2017
- WATCH: From bedbugs to pigeons, New York's despised vermin have rich inner lives on HBO's Animals - Salon - March 17th, 2017
- Get a Grip: Hairy-Footed Bedbugs Foil Slick Traps - Live Science - March 17th, 2017
- 5 things you should never scavenge from an alley - Chicago Tribune - March 15th, 2017
- Health officials complete second inspection at bed bug infested ... - WOAI - March 15th, 2017
- 'Don't let the bed bugs bite' - Fenton Tri County Times - March 12th, 2017
- Route 50 Motel allegedly responsible for bed bug bites - Cook County Record - March 11th, 2017
- 4 simple ways to avoid bed bugs when traveling - WCPO - March 11th, 2017
- Jury awards more than $100000 in bed bug infestation case - The Bakersfield Californian - March 11th, 2017
- Fargo couple blames local rental store for bed bugs - INFORUM - March 11th, 2017
- Topeka VA continues efforts to eradicate bed bugs - WIBW - March 11th, 2017
- Don't bring bed bugs home from vacation | WBMA - ABC 33/40 - Alabama's News Leader - March 11th, 2017
- Nanticoke High School Bed Bug Concerns - PA home page - March 9th, 2017
- Don't Bring Bed Bugs Home from Vacation - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - March 9th, 2017
- Bed bugs, Brexit and goodbyes: 20 years of indie, as told by Fortuna Pop! - The Guardian - March 9th, 2017
- 'This was in both my ears' a woman says about bed bugs at the Aurora Apartments - FOX 29 - March 6th, 2017
- Man who claimed he set fire to Candia home to kill bed bugs must ... - The Union Leader - March 5th, 2017
- Bed bugs are a continuing nuisance - ReporterNews.com - March 4th, 2017
- Man who set fire to NH home due to bed bugs to pay restitution after ... - NH1 News - March 4th, 2017
- Embarrassed seniors complicate bed bug fight at Las Vegas housing complex - Las Vegas Review-Journal - March 4th, 2017
- Bedbugs, roaches found at HUD-subsidized apartments - mySanAntonio.com - March 3rd, 2017
- California Landlord-Tenant Law is Crawling with New Statutes About Bed Bugs - Lexology (registration) - March 2nd, 2017
- Bedbugs discovered twice recently in Topeka VA medical unit | The ... - Topeka Capital Journal - March 2nd, 2017
- Consumer Reports: Avoid Bed Bugs While on Vacation - KFDX - March 2nd, 2017
- Don't bring bed bugs home from vacation | KOMO - KOMO News - March 2nd, 2017
- Northern Plaza residents report infestation of bed bugs, mice - Valley Breeze - March 1st, 2017
- Hanover-area caretaker charged in bed bug death - York Daily Record/Sunday News - March 1st, 2017
- Woman dies after being afflicted by bed bugs, and her caretaker is charged - Fox News - February 28th, 2017
- Caretaker charged after elderly Pennsylvania woman dies from bed bugs - New York Daily News - February 28th, 2017
- BMHA Papers Show Bed Bug Problem | WGRZ.com - WGRZ.com - February 28th, 2017
- Bedbugs kill woman, caretaker faces charges - USA TODAY - February 26th, 2017
- Bedbugs kill woman, caretaker faces charges - Ventura County Star - February 26th, 2017
- Hanover-area caretaker charged in bed bug death - The Evening Sun - The Evening Sun - February 25th, 2017
- Campus resources for bed bug detection - CU Boulder Today - February 24th, 2017
- Maintaining year-round vigilance against bed bugs - McKnight's Long Term Care News - February 23rd, 2017
- Bed bugs back at Westgate Apartments in Stroudsburg - Pocono Record - February 23rd, 2017
- Bed bug treatment displaces some residents - The Killeen Daily Herald - February 23rd, 2017
- Chicago transit passenger says he found bed bug-filled bag on train ... - Fox News - February 21st, 2017
- VIDEO: Woman Carrying Bag Infested With Bugs On CTA Red Line - CBS Local - February 21st, 2017
- Booneville school treated for bed bugs - Van Buren Press Argus-Courier - February 20th, 2017
- Colorado Tri-Flo Signs Distribution Agreement with Bed Bug Supply - PCT Magazine - February 20th, 2017
- Greensboro NC Bed bug Hotel and Apartment Reports - February 17th, 2017
- Youngstown news, Contract approved for bed-bug treatment - Youngstown Vindicator - February 17th, 2017
- Bed Bugs Found at Second DC Elementary School | NBC4 ... - NBC4 Washington - February 17th, 2017
- Bed bugs found at another DC elementary school - Story | WTTG - FOX 5 DC - February 17th, 2017
- Sniffing dogs help get rid of bed bugs - The Daily Courier - February 16th, 2017
- No Bed Bugs Present In Central Valley School District - WIBX 950 - WIBX AM 950 - February 16th, 2017
- Letting bedbugs bite -- because science - Firstcoastnews.com - February 16th, 2017
- Know the Law in Light of Bed Bug Issues - Clay County Free Press.com (subscription) - February 15th, 2017
- No bedbugs found in Central Valley schools - The Times Telegram - February 15th, 2017
- Hartshorne City Hall closed Monday and Tuesday after bed bugs found in portion of building - kjrh.com - February 15th, 2017
- Booneville School District Hires Exterminator To Rid Elementary ... - 5newsonline.com - February 13th, 2017
- Pictures of Bed Bug Bites - hotels.about.com - February 11th, 2017
- Bedbugs and bacteria: What's lingering in your linens? - WRVO Public Media - February 11th, 2017
- Booneville Elementary School treated for bedbugs - 4029tv - February 11th, 2017
- Bed-Bug Madness: The Psychological Toll of the Blood Suckers ... - February 11th, 2017
- Bed Bug Control & Prevention | Plunketts Pest Control - February 11th, 2017
- Answer Man: Want to avoid bedbugs on vacation? Follow these tips - San Angelo Standard Times - February 10th, 2017
- More bedbugs found in Holley school - The Daily News Online - February 10th, 2017
- Central Valley to inspect for possible bedbugs - Times Telegram - The Times Telegram - February 9th, 2017
- Bed bugs found in Holley Elementary School Wednesday; district taking action - 13WHAM-TV - February 9th, 2017
- Expert Explains: Protecting Your Home From Bed Bugs - 5newsonline.com - February 9th, 2017
- Bedbugs 'an ongoing problem' - MyWebTimes.com - February 9th, 2017
- Bed Bugs reported at Circleville High School - NBC4i.com - February 9th, 2017
- CCS taking steps after reports of bed bugs - Circleville Herald - February 9th, 2017
- Want to avoid bedbugs on vacation? Follow these tips. - Belleville News-Democrat (blog) - February 7th, 2017
- DC Elementary School Closes, Parents Find Out About Bed Bugs From News - Daily Caller - February 7th, 2017
- 5 facts you should know about bedbugs - WCNC.com - February 7th, 2017